Tag Archive : killed

American couple bikes through ISIS territory to prove ‘humans are kind’ and gets killed

American couple bikes through ISIS territory to prove ‘humans are kind’ and gets killed

A young American couple was killed by ISIS last month while on a cycling trip around the world to prove ‘humans are kind.’

Jay Austin and Lauren Geoghegan, who were both in their late 20s, last year quit their office jobs in Washington, DC, to embark on the journey.

Austin, a vegan who worked for the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, and Geoghegan, a vegetarian who worked in the Georgetown University admissions office, decided that they’re were wasting their lives working.

The couple documented their year-long journey on ​Instagram and on a ​joint blog. They shared “the openheartedness they wanted to embody and the acts of kindness reciprocated by strangers.”

Austin wrote in one post;

“You read the papers and you’re led to believe that the world is a big, scary place,”

“People, the narrative goes, are not to be trusted. People are bad. People are evil.”

“I don’t buy it, evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own… By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind.”

However, Austin and Geoghegan’s trip came to a tragic and gruesome end when they got to Tajikistan, a country with a known terrorist presence. They were riding their bikes through the country on July 29 when a car rammed them, ​​according to CBS News.

Five men got out of the car and stabbed the couple to death along with two other cyclists, one from Switzerland and the other from the Netherlands.

Two days later, ISIS released a video showing the same men sitting in front of the black ISIS flag. They looked at the camera and vowed to kill “disbelievers,” ​according to The New York Times.

35 people killed as bridge collapses

35 people have lost their lives as a motorway bridge collapsed in the northwest Italian city of Genoa.

Fire brigade sources said 35 people were believed killed as vehicles plummeted to the ground.

Dramatic video footage captured the moment of the disaster when one of the huge supporting towers crashed down during torrential rain.

Vehicles and debris fell 45m (148ft) on to rail tracks, buildings and a river.

The official death toll was given as 22 on Tuesday evening by the Governor of Liguria region, Giovanni Toti, but he warned the number would “certainly rise significantly.”

Fire brigade sources told Ansa that 35 people were dead and 12 missing.

Searches for people trapped in the rubble are expected to go into the night.

Fears that other parts of the bridge might fall had prompted the evacuation of buildings in the area, a rescuer told Italy’s Ansa news agency.

Interior Minister Matteo Salvini promised that anyone found to be responsible for the bridge collapse would be held to account.

“I have crossed that bridge hundreds of times,” he said. “Now, as an Italian citizen, I will do everything to get the names and surnames of the managers responsible, past and present, because it is unacceptable to die like that in Italy.”

A representative of the motorway’s operator, Autostrade, told Reuters there had been “no reason to consider the bridge was dangerous”.

“We saw lightning strike the bridge,” eyewitness Pietro M all’Asa, was quoted as saying by Ansa.

Italian minister says at least 22 killed (photos/video)

At least 22 people have been reported dead after Genoa Freeway bridge in Italy collapsed. A section of a towering highway bridge collapsed on Tuesday, sending cars plunging nearly 300 feet to the ground and killing at least 22 people, officials said.

Though the head of the local ambulance service said there were “dozens of dead”, however Maria Luisa Catalano of the highway police in Genoa said work was ongoing, adding, “we don’t know numbers of victims/injured yet.”

ABC News reported that a collapse of the Morandi Bridge in Genoa occurred during strong storms moving through the area of northwest Italy, according to authorities. It was also gathered that at least 20 vehicles were on the bridge in a port section of the city when the span gave way, Amalia Tedeschi, a firefighter, told the Italian news agency ANSA. Tedeschi said two people were pulled from the rubble alive and taken to a hospital by helicopter.

Danilo Toninelli, Italy’s transport minister, described the collapse as “an enormous tragedy.” In one of the videos shared on social media, someone could be heard screaming “oh God!” and a flash could be seen as the concrete structure crumbled.

Eyewitnesses claimed that the bridge toppled after it was struck by lightning, and it happened on part of the viaduct on the A10 highway, the country’s national police, Polizia di Stato, said.

However Italian authorities said that at the time of the collapse, construction involving a crane was occurring on the bridge, but it was too early to pinpoint what caused the span to fail. The A10 highway, the main route between northern Italy and France, was closed in both directions as search-and-rescue teams searched for survivors of the horrific incident.

Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said about 200 firefighters were on scene searching for survivors. Part of the bridge fell on top of the Genoa Garbage Collection Depot, raising fears that the death toll will climb.

Photos of the four policemen killed during gun battle with bandits in Kaduna

Details and photos of the four policemen killed on Saturday after a gun duel with bandits in Kaduna State, have emerged. The operatives are reportedly from the IGP Intelligent Response Team (IRT) killed

The Public Relations Officer of the Kaduna State Police Command, DSP Sabo Yakubu, had disclosed that “At about 0630hrs on August11, a team of detectives attached to IGP Intelligent Response Team (IRT) while on operation along Jankasa village of Rigasa in Igabi Local Government Area inKaduna State was ambushed by bandits.”

According to Daily Post, the IRT leader, DCP Abba Kyari, stated on Sunday evening that bodies of the deceased operatives were deposited at Saint Gerald Hospital Mortuary Kaduna State for autopsy, while very serious efforts were in progress to get the killers to book.

Photos of four policemen killed during gun battle with bandits in Kaduna

He said, “Sequel to the Kidnapping of Sheikh Ahmad Adam Algarkawy in Rigasa area of Kaduna State on 2/8/18 and his subsequent release after ransom was paid.

“In a follow up to the case on 11/8/18 IRT operative arrested two of the Kidnappers in a remote settlement inside Rigasa forest inKaduna State.

“As the team was coming out of the bush with the arrested kidnappers, other gang-members hiding inside the bush ambushed the IRT team and opened fire which resulted to the death of four IRT operatives.”

He gave names of the deceased as, AP/No. 148333 Inspr. Benard Odibo, AP/No. 181539 Inspr. Mamman Abubakar, AP/No. 192938 Inspr. Haruna Ibrahim F/No. 267815 and Sgt Emmanuel Istifanus.

4 Policemen killed after gun battle with gunmen in Kaduna

Suspected bandits have killed 4 policemen in Jankasa village, Rigasa, Igabi local government area of Kaduna state.

The policemen, were said to be on their way for an operation in the area when they were ambushed around 7pm on Saturday.

The bandits were said to have engaged the police in a fierce gun battle, leading to the death of the deceased officers.

Yakubu Sabo, spokesman of the Kaduna State police command, confirmed the incident in a text message.

He said the officers killed were of the inspector-general of police (IGP) intelligence rapid response team (IRT).

“At about 0630hrs of Saturday, a team of detectives attached to IGP IRT while on operation along Jankasa village of Rigasa Kaduna, were ambushed by armed bandits.

“After a fierce gun battle, four of our policemen paid the supreme sacrifice.”

According to him, a reinforcement was mobilised to the area, with the view to bring the perpetrators to book, but no arrest has been made yet.

“Immediately after we git hold of information on the ambush, we deployed our men to the area but the culprits had fled before they arrived.

Investigation is currently on-going on the incident and we can assure that those men will be arrested and made to face the wrath of the law” he said

Gospel preachers preoccupied with prosperity rather than righteousness – Osinbajo

Acting President Yemi Osinbajo who spoke at the 30th National Biennial Conference of the Students Christian Movement of Nigeria holding in Enugu, berated gospel preachers for failing to preach against the corruption.

The acting President who stated that the problem with Nigeria was neither ethnicity nor religion but systemic corruption, added that corruption has been so entrenched in the country that if you dare challenge it, you will be in the minority.

Challenging the youths to change the narrative and make the difference by checking the impunity of those that had stolen the resources of the country, acting President Yemi Osinbajo said members of the SCM mus ensure that the movement becomes one of the tools that will move the country forward.

NAN reported that he also appealed to Nigerians to stand against the plundering of the nation’s resources as well as support the anti-corruption initiative of the Federal Government, irrespective of party affiliations. According to Osinbajo, young Christians have special and distinct roles to play in the transformation of the country which is superior to those of other sets of people.

“Very rarely do you hear our preachers talk about corruption from their pulpits. If a nation is not righteous nothing will help it.

“Our problem in this country is not ethnicity or religion; it is not about Christians or Muslims. Our problems are the same wherever you go in this country.

“The story of our country is about good and evil. It is about those that have left us in this condition by stealing our common resources.

“Do not let anyone deceive you.

“You should understand that our country can be delivered by people like you.

“All of the great nations of the world were transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is not a gospel that tickles people’s imaginations or dwells on prosperity.

“It is not a gospel that fits your fancy. It is a gospel that teaches that righteousness exalts a nation.”

Female pastor allegedly raped, killed in Cross River

A female Assistant Pastor has been murdered after allegedly being raped.

Esther Neji, was a pastor with with the Assemblies Of God Church, Obudu road, Ikom, Cross River State.

It was gathered that Neji, a recently engaged bride-to-be, was allegedly overpowered and raped to death at her apartment.

Speaking to journalists yesterday in Ikom, Rev Solomon Ajuk, a senior cleric in her church, said: “We only discovered that since Sunday, we’ve not seen her.

“During the course of the week, we decided to visit her to ascertain if she was well. On getting to her house, we perceived an offensive odour with her door still locked.

“We contacted the police who came and we forced the door open, only to see her lying between the parlor and her room with a pool of blood on her bed.

“Her forehead had a wound where she was hit. A wrapper was on her neck, her pant was carelessly thrown suggesting that she was rapped and killed. That’s the police preliminary investigation.”

Ajuk added that her house was scattered, suggesting that there was a struggle before she was over powered, raped and killed.

Confirming the development, the Divisional Police Officer of Ikom Police Station, Aluyi Abdulazez, said a team of medical doctors who carried out an autopsy on her, stated that she was raped.

“We are now carrying out detailed investigation to unravel those behind the act,” he said.

Medical student, dad killed after Edo tanker explosion

A medical student has been reported dead after been involved in a ghastly fuel tanker accident which claimed the lives of three other persons.

Dara, a 300L medical student of the Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma, Edo State, died alongside his dad after a fuel tanker explosion along Iruekpen road on Wednesday.

According to reports Dara, his father, their driver and one little boy who was in the car were all burnt beyond recognition in an accident after they came to pick Dara up from school for treatment of a brief illness before his exams.

The sad incident happened along iruekpen road, as their vehicle rammed into a tanker filled with fuel while trying to negotiate a sharp curve, only two bodies were recovered after the flames went out as the rest were burnt to ashes.

While speaking with some of dara’s friends, they said everyone became worried as nothing was heard from him since his father came to pick him up from school on wednesday, only to find out that they were involved in an accident which claimed their lives.

The college of medicine AAU, has been thrown into a state of sadness and grief, dara was supposed to write his MBBS exams which comes up in about three months time.

Photos from Khensani Maseko’s funeral, SA student who killed herself after rape

Khensani Maseko, a 23-year-old South African student who killed herself two months after she was raped has been laid to rest in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Khensani Maseko, a student at the Rhodes University in Grahamstown and former member of the Rhodes student representative council (SRC) battled with depression after she was raped, allegedly by a boyfriend who is also a Rhodes student in May 2018.

On August 3 2018, Khensani Maseko took her own life at her Johannesburg home.

But before that, Maseko posted a cryptic message on Instagram that read: “No one deserves to be raped,” along with a picture showing what is believed to be her date of birth and that day’s date.

Khensani Maseko’s Instagram account has since been removed from the social media platform.

Khensani Maseko’s funeral held in Nasrec, Johannesburg on Thursday. See photos below.

Khensani Maseko’s mother weeps at her her funeral

The coffin of the late Khensani being taken to a grave where she will be laid to rest at NASREC memorial park south of Johannesbug . 09-08-2018. Picture: THAPELO MOREBUDI.

In a moving tribute, Khensani Maseko’s mother described her late child as a rising star who exceeded expectations.

”When I took you for your Grade 1 assessment test, your score far exceeded the set benchmark…when I watched you run a 100 meter sprint or relay, you dashed like a star.

When you went for your matric dance, you wanted a sparkling dress, in your own words, you said you wanted to sparkle like a chandelier. When you proceeded to university you continued to shine like a star… entrenched in constructive and meaningful student activities.”

”You were a model child, an inspiration to me and family. Friends, neighbours…all looked up to you. So today I want to thank God for the 23 years he gave us to share.

During that time, we shared profound moments and I will hold those dearly for as long as I live, I don’t know how I am going to carry on without you, but, I trust God we will make it through this tough confusing time of my life.”

Rhodes University confirmed Khensani Maseko’s death and said authorities held a meeting with Maseko’s parents after she reported in July that she had been raped.

The university says it was agreed that Maseko should be taken home pending an investigation into her allegations.

The third-year student died a few days before her scheduled return to the university, where she was to meet with those investigating the case at the institution.

Who raped Khensani Maseko?

The man accused of the rape has been suspended, Rhodes university said in the statement posted on its website, adding that it was working with South Africa’s police and the National Prosecuting Authority to launch an inquest into Maseko’s death.

Police have not released the suspect’s name.

Rhodes University Vice-Chancellor Dr. Sizwe Mabizela said:

“The tragic passing of Khensani will not mark an end to the investigation into the circumstances leading up to her passing.”

The university’s flag was flown at half-staff to honor Maseko.

Graphic photos from the Edo state bank robbery yesterday; 12 people killed

No fewer than 10 persons have been reportedly killed after an Edo state bank robbery yesterday.

Suspected gunmen on Thursday invaded the town of Igarra, in the Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State yesterday evening in an attempt to rob the Unity Bank and Keystone Bank branches in the area.

The Commissioner of Police, Mr Johnson Kokumo, confirmed the attack which occurred Thursday evening.

The robbers are said to have first attacked the local police station close to the banks in a bid to demobilise the security operatives.

At the station, they shot and killed a policeman on duty along with two detainees. Three other persons outside the station were killed by the robbers.

The robbers also set the only vehicle on sight, a Toyota Hilux on fire before proceeding to attack the banks. The Hilux was the official vehicle of a newly posted area commander.

When the robbers got to the banks, at least four other persons were reportedly killed at the banks when the armed men could not gain access to the vaults of the banks.

Although sources said that the robbers found it difficult to access the vaults of the banks, it was not clear if they succeeded in carting away cash.

One of the residents, Ofei Obende, said that the youths tried to resist the robbers but were overpowered by their superior firepower.

Obende, however, noted that the daredevil robbers were later engaged in an exchange of gunfire by the police.

Police commissioner said three of the robbers were killed during the gun duel.

Kokumo said,

“I am intercepting messages; give me few minutes so that I can brief you. But the good news is we gunned three of the robbers down.”

A gang of armed robbers had robbed two commercial banks in this same area back in 2015, leaving at least six persons dead.

Speaking on his mobile phone from Igarra, the Palace Secretary to the paramount ruler of the community, Otaru of Igarra, Elder Folorunsho Dania confirmed the incident.

See graphic photos HERE & HERE.

7-year-old Nigerian boy killed in London in suspected arson attack

The sister of a seven-year-old Nigerian boy killed in London in suspected arson attack, has paid tribute to her “amazing little brother”.

Joel Urhie’s body was found after a “very severe fire” at the house in Adolphus Street, Deptford, south-east London, on Tuesday morning.

His mother Sophie and sister Sarah jumped to safety from the first floor.

Since being released from hospital, Sarah, 19, has posted a series of emotional messages about her brother.

In one video posted on Twitter, Joel can be seen kissing Sarah on the cheek.

7-year-old Nigerian boy killed in London.

She captioned the clip:

“Rest in perfect peace my amazing little brother Joel, nothing makes sense right now, I love you.”

Sarah was discharged from hospital on Wednesday.

Her mother was still being treated, police said.

A post-mortem examination found the cause of Joel’s death was “consistent with fire and smoke inhalation”, the Metropolitan Police said.

There have been no arrests and enquiries continue. Police said on Thursday that officers were still yet to identify any suspects.

Detectives have questioned neighbours and seized CCTV footage from a flat across the road from the house.

The Met said in a briefing on Tuesday it was not discounting the possibility that the suspected arson attack was gang-related.